- ‣ Autism Spectrum Disorders
- ‣ Cerebral Palsy
- ‣ Child Brain Injury
- ‣ Down Syndrome
- ‣ Pediatric (child) stroke
Got a question?
Click here to email us.
Order Free DVD
- LIFE Program -
About the LIFE Program
Health in Motion specializes in pediatric treatment and rehabilitation. We treat every child according to his or her specific needs. LIFE (Learning Independent Function Everyday) was first conceived by our director, Natan Gendelman. It is designed as a specialized education and rehabilitation system for children with neurological conditions such as cerebral palsy, autism and autism spectrum disorders, Down syndrome, pediatric stroke, child developmental delay, and acquired brain injury.
Every child is unique, with his own experiences, personality and point of view. As a result, each child's condition will be different, meaning that there can be no template for treatment. The LIFE method and program are designed to address these needs.
The Foundations of LIFE
The LIFE (Learning Independent Function Everyday) method emphasizes proper function and movement of the body as a whole. When a patient does not move in the proper way, it can disrupt crucial internal processes occurring within the body. This can include processes such as digestion and respiration, which are essential in nutrient exchange. When the brain and other key components of the body do not get the proper nutrients they require, it can negatively impact a patient's health and ability to learn.
To avoid this issue, LIFE follows key principles which provide the framework for the entire treatment process (LIFE Program). They are as follows:
- Nothing can be built up on disability.
No child is seen as handicapped; therefore, we build on his ability, and not his disability.
- Everything in the body acts under the command of the brain.
- The body acts as one unit of function.
- The proper flow of nutrients enable normal bodily processes to take place.
If pathways such as the veins, arteries and nerves are compromised by abnormal positioning of any body part (head position, hand position, leg position, arching), it will disturb the exchange of nutrients and other key processes. This will affect the function of vital organs, as well as the brain, nervous system and motor function. Therefore, our goal is to restore proper nutrient exchange, which will lead to normal development of the brain and nervous system.
- Once the processes inside the body occur normally, the brain can be stimulated through verbal and motor guidance. Therefore, we emphasize the importance of communication and repetition when working with a child.
- The child is an active partner in the treatment process. We provide guidance and teach the child functions that are integral to his daily living.
- All functions learned in the clinic must be continued at home as a lifestyle. Therefore, we teach parents how to continue guiding their child outside the clinic.
- Parents and caregivers need to create an environment where a child can function independently or with guidance.
Each of our patients has his own team of 2-4 practitioners dedicated to treating him throughout the whole rehabilitation course. Sessions involve one-on-one treatment with each licensed practitioner. Your child's team may include:
- Functional Education/Rehabilitation Specialist
- Pediatric Massage Therapist
Treatments vary from 2-5 hours per day depending on the program and your child's specific needs. Our program is intensive and designed to go well beyond traditional therapies to produce results. For this reason, many parents tell us that they see improvements in a very short period of time.
How LIFE Changes Lives
Justin talks about SaraCorinne's progress in the LIFE Program here at Health in Motion Rehabilitation.
Accommodation for Foreign Applicants
Patients from around the world travel to Health in Motion to attend our innovative LIFE program. If you are interested in enrolling your child, we would be happy to assist you in finding a lease on an apartment and giving extended support during your stay. For more information, feel free to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!